Saturday, December 28, 2013

Detox Day 2: Temptations begin

Nadine Kam photos
Jamm Aquino photograph's my Day 2 meals.

I feel guilty that I only had 2 glasses of water yesterday, so the first thing I do when I wake up is to drink a glass of my hydrogen water before heading back to Blue Tree Cafe for Day 2 of the Renew cleanse.

I’ve arranged for SA photographer Jamm Aquino to take photos of the juices, which range from the vibrant orange of “Carotene Cure,” to the translucency of “Honey Badger” and white of almond milk. They look so pretty when backlighted.

Barista/juicer/martial artist James tells me Honey Badger is his favorite and I look forward to this first drink of the day, comprising apple, lemon, ginger and the spice of cayenne. Very yummy.

While there, I take a look at the menu board, where most of these juices are $6.95 if you were to purchase them singly.

I start drinking the Honey Badger at 10:30 a.m. and I’m ready for my first potty break at noon. Walking through the office, I’m hyper aware of the scent of co-workers lunches and everything smells wonderful, from meat to mustard. I’m hyper aware of food, and even though I’m not hungry at all, I want to pop things in my mouth. I guess the childhood oral fixation never goes away. Maybe we’re hardwired to pop things in our mouths.

Realization 4: I have a lot of restless energy and do a lot of social eating. Even if I’m not hungry, if I’m sitting with a bunch of people and there’s food at the table I will eat it as a way of staying active while sitting through lunches that can last from noon to 5 p.m., before moving on to dinner at another location.

I'm slated to go to the one-year anniversary party for Flag-J tonight at the Modern. I figure it will be easy not to eat. It'll be a little harder meeting friends at Anna Miller restaurant after the party. It's hard to watch other people eating and not participate. It just seems rude.

At 1 p.m., I get up again to move my car. By the time I walk back, I’m ready for another restroom break. It’s so annoying.

Very Verde.

At 1:30, I’m still not hungry, but I better start drinking again, or I’ll never complete the day’s regimen. Next up is “Very Verde” and I’m looking forward to this blend of kale, avocado, spinach, banana, coconut water, hemp, chia seeds and apple. I taste more banana. I wish there were more avocado. I guess I’m craving fat, but I’m enjoying this lunch. This is what I would typically order at Blue Tree, though I’d have it with a curry chicken wrap or chicken sandwich.


At 3 p.m., I start on the Green Lemon Aid of kale, celery, ginger, apple and lemon. At 5 p.m., I head home for a change of clothes before going out to the Modern. I consider bringing one of my juices along in case I get hungry, but I'm juggling camera, video and clutch and don't want to risk dropping a jar on the ground. Of course I start feeling hungry as soon as I get there. I remember what James had said to me that morning. He said the body can't differentiate between hunger and thirst, so if you feel hungry, drink more water.

Falafel at the Flag-J party.

At the party, there was a Mediterranean food setup, with the likes of hummus, crudite, falafel, pita and pesto. Not bad for dieters but I still can't have any. I really miss the mouth-feel of food. I always thought drinking all our nutrients or getting them in pill form would be so convenient, but neither delivers the satisfaction of chewing and savoring whole foods.

I couldn't indulge in cheese or even a healthful selection of vegetable crudités.


I leave the party at 9:30 because I have to meet some Leeward side friends at Anna Miller's at 10:30. Stop off at home to change and pick up my next two drinks, more kombucha Hydrator, this time with chia seed, and the Carotene Cure. At Anna Miller's I look at the menu. If freed from detox, I would be ordering the bacon avocado burger. Alas. One of my friends orders lemon meringue pie. My other friend orders a grilled cheese sandwich with fries. It was relatively easy to resist a taste of each. I finish both by the time we leave at 12:30 a.m.

I finish up this post while drinking the last concoction of the day, again the calcium- and vitamins D- and E-rich almond milk, that includes dates and agave. This drink is said to promote a healthy heart and enhanced immune function. It makes a soothing finale.

I end up at Anna Miller's, house of pies, and resist eating anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment